Monday, December 10, 2012

Caffè Florian

Caffè Florian, oils 10" x 14"
Another Venice painting, this time I was standing outside my favourite place to have a coffee in Venice, Caffè Florian in St Marks square. At Florian prices you probably wouldn't choose to visit more than once in your trip, but it's a lovely treat if you do get the chance. It was established in 1720 and apparently must be one of the oldest coffee houses that has been in continuous operation ever since.

The waiters popped in and out so I started with a very quick sketch of them in my sketchbook in case they disappeared altogether.  I didn't want the painting not to have them in it, they were the focal point framed in the archway with the grand white canopies also offering a much needed contrast to the dark interior. At about 3pm I was surprised when they next came outside wearing black jackets, so I supposed they had changed into their evening wear!

On the second to last day in Venice fellow painter Valerie Pirlot and I treated ourselves to a warming hot drink and croissant in Caffe Florian, in between our first and second paintings of the day. Well even scruffy artists need a little luxury in our lives sometimes, don't we?!



I'm having a busy week planning big events for next year, there is so much going on I can hardly write it all in my diary fast enough! Plus I'm trying to organise Christmas in my spare moments ;-)

I'm very excited about tomorrow though, it's the preview of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters exhibition at the Mall galleries London. I will try to remember to take some photos to show you.
You can actually see the whole exhibition online which is fantastic, I think you'll love it! You'll also feel as though you're right there with me. To see the Royal Institute of Oil painters 2012 exhibition online click here!

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful painting. The design is wonderful as is the looseness of your brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Venise, que j'aime tant... Un endroit si fascinant et troublant à la fois. La magie dans toute sa splendeur.
    Une très belle peinture où l'atmosphère règne en maîtresse...

    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...