Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My 2013 review - October to December

Wet mud and reflections at Brancaster Staithe
SOLD
 Sorry for the delay in bringing you the final part of my 2013 review - I hope you haven't been waiting on tenterhooks! I've been so busy preparing my big exhibition which starts tomorrow and I will definitely be taking some photos for you.
I'll start off this period with some paintings from a new favourite painting place, Brancaster Staithe in Norfolk. Both of these pieces got me really excited, and I'm trying a studio painting based on the one below.

Boat sheds at Brancaster Staithe
SOLD
October brought with it the excitement that was my first ever time exhibiting with the Royal Society of Marine Artists at the Mall Galleries in London. The painting selected was a large studio painting of a dilapidated building at Eastpoint in Florida, lit brightly by the early rising sun which was already pretty warm by my standards!

At the RSMA
Thanks to Peter Barker for photo!
I am standing there with a big grin because it's always an honour and excitement to have a work exhibited at the Mall Galleries, amongst the best painters in the UK. Also the private views are so much fun.

Low tide at Mousehole
After all that mingling and chatting it must have been time to head off to the coast again... oh yes, my favourite place!


Wet sand in Mousehole harbour
SOLD

Managed to get a week in Cornwall at the end of October with the children and Maisie. We had some rainy days but on the whole it was good and I managed to combine painting with other activities such as eating scampi and chips in the pub.


St Clements Isle, sparkling light
SOLD

In November I was working on further magazine articles and painting portraits, with some new studio work too. I gave workshops on 'finding and using more colour', 'painting like the impressionists' and 'an introduction to oils'. I travelled north to York and east to Horncastle to meet art groups and give demos.

My article on painting 'vibrant still life' was published in The Artist magazine.

Peonies and hen





In December it was back down to London for the Royal Institute of Oil painters preview, and then again for a portrait painting day, and again for the portrait painting evening. Big month for train fares!
I was enormously honoured to have three paintings accepted and hung in the exhibition this year. 

Sails up in harbour, Paimpol
Oils 24" x 30"
SOLD

Me with Galley hill allotments
at ROI show 2013

Fresh fried fish, Essaouira

Then as if the year could get any more exciting at all, my painting of Galley hill allotments in the snow which was painted right back in January and saved all year for the ROI (and luckily they wanted it!) won the Making a Mark award for 'best painting of a place on an art blog in 2013'! Hooray! A double honour, and big thanks to you if you voted ;-)


Galley hill allotments in the snow
SOLD





8 comments:

  1. What a really fantastic year it has been, I have loved all your work especially the paintings you did in Florida. They were magic!! All the very best with your Exhibition in Nottingham, I hope to visit next week. :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Will look forward to seeing you :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Haidee, I`d like to nominate your blog for an award that bloggers give to one another, The Sunshine Award. I keep coming back to your blog and it`s amazing to see how your work has evolved over the past two years that I`ve been following it. I wish you every continued success for 2014. You are supposed to nominate 11 other bloggers for the award. Yes, time consuming, I know, but well worth it, in the end. xx Here`s the link, I hope, to my post about the award:
    http://judithlogan.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/sunshine.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really enjoyed reading your round up of the year, thanks. My personal favorite piece was "Sails up in harbour, Paimpol", really interesting to see the transformation from Plein Air piece (which was already striking) into something more refined. Hope the exhibition goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started following your blog when Katherine awarded you 'the best painting of a place'award. I love your blog, it is so informative and chatty. Well done on your successful year and from I have seen it will only continue this year. Love the plein air videos you have posted, very informative and instructive. I am going to try my hand at plein air this year if I can cope with the Texas summer! Tried in few times in the years I have painted but always have difficulty in finding my focus as my eye travelling all over the place. Maybe your tips will help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous year for a fabulous painter! Haidee, you continue to inspire me; with the beauty of your paintings and the scope of your artistic endeavors: plein air, studio, landscape, still life, portraits; and all done with such style and verve. Just wonderful. I can't wait to see what 2014 brings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...